SAM is the nationally-recognised representative body for the specialty of acute medicine.
We want acute medicine to provide the best possible care for all our patients and so we listen to our members, and our patients, and use their experience and knowledge to influence policy, develop training and to set and monitor standards. We give our members, and through them, our patients, a voice. A voice heard by the government when making important policy decisions, a voice heard by the press when telling acute care stories, and a voice heard by the public when being treated by acute care professionals.
Membership of the Society for Acute Medicine (SAM) not only brings you into this strong and growing community, it also allows you to demonstrate your commitment to the specialty (the fastest growing in the UK) and can improve your future career opportunities.
If you want to stay on top of the most cutting-edge acute medical research, discuss challenges and triumphs with colleagues, and influence the future of this exciting young specialty, then SAM membership can provide this, and more.
- Full annual membership: includes a subscription to the Acute Medicine journal (£120)
- Reduced annual membership for doctors in training: does not include a subscription to the Acute Medicine journal (£45)
- Reduced annual membership for nurses, pharmacists & AHPs: includes online access to the journal (£45)
To join, please complete the online registration form and the direct debit mandate and send it to the address below or contact the Administrator using the Contact Us menu option or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full subscription to the Journal for Acute Medicine (published quarterly for full members only)
- Full subscription to the Society newsletter Acute News (published quarterly online)
- Option to receive the weekly news round-up
- Access to the members’ only area on the SAM website, which includes access to the unit directory and secure voting system of SAM council members
- Representation at the Department of Health
- Representation at the Royal College of Physicians
- Representation at the European Federation of Internal Medicine
- Opportunities to work with NICE as SAM is a guidelines stakeholder
- Reduced rate registration for Spring and Autumn Meetings
- Option to stand for positions on the Society Council
- Voting rights
The objectives of SAM are to promote better care of patients who present with acute medical illnesses. In pursuing this the Society shall:
- Promote education of medical, nursing and paramedical staff in acute medicine.
- Facilitate and co-ordinate the collection of data relevant to acute medical assessments and admissions.
- Facilitate collaborative research in the area of acute medicine.
- Promote the creation of appropriate environments for acute medical assessments and admissions.
- Share good practice.
- Promote the acute care models that exist as examples of improving the management of patients with acute medical problems.
- Provide encouragement to all members of the multi-disciplinary team that work in acute medicine.
If you share these objectives, then join SAM, and make acute medical care the best medical care.
Those resident outside the UK should contact the administrator to arrange alternative payment (PayPal).
Did you know SAM now has their very own ties? Click here for more information.