The Society for Acute Medicine (SAM) is the national representative body for staff caring for medical patients in the acute hospital setting. Formed in 2000, SAM was established at a time when the concepts of acute medicine and the Acute Medical Unit (AMU) were in their infancy.
What do we do?
- Promote education of medical, nursing and paramedical staff in acute medicine
- Facilitate and co-ordinate the collection of data relevant to acute medical assessments and admissions
- Facilitate collaborative research in acute medicine
- Promote the creation of appropriate environments for acute medical assessments and admissions
- Share good practice
- Promote the acute care models that exist to improve the management of patients
- Provide encouragement and support to all members of the multi-disciplinary team